Last month, VentureBeat hosted a live event about Mobile Game Statistics. The webinar was hosted by Kevin Teng, Senior Director of Performance Advising at AdColony; Christen Calderon, CRO of Ketchapp and David Rose, Director of Performance Marketing at Pocket Gems. Together, these three men discussed trends and statistics they saw happening in their respective companies, and how it can affect mobile gaming as a whole.

Teng’s company AdColony conducted a study about app installs. This year, 62% of the survey respondents were mobile game developers and 38% were app developers that were not game related. Each of them had an average monthly App Install Budget of about $1 million or more. Not to shabby.

Here are some takeaway’s from VentureBeat Webinar about Mobile Game Trends and Statistics Going into 2017:

Most developers install budgets had increased over the past few quarters, as much as 17% for total spending. So what are they spending this money on to help boost app installs? Well, video. As the social platform is keeping steady, video is becoming the new way to increase downloads. While this is occurring worldwide, North America is home to the highest CPI (Cost Per Install) rates.

The average CPI in North America is about $3.14. However, when you break it down into categories it gets a little more spread out. Casual gaming (puzzle games, etc.) CPI is around $2.05, where more hardcore gaming (war games, etc.) takes in $6.96 CPI. That’s a big difference! Could the way these genres are displaying their ads make a difference? Absolutely.

The survey describes that the most successful formats for advertising are full-screen video, social video, in-feed video, social display, and native ads, interstitial and banner.

When it comes to video ads however, there needs to be a “sweet spot.” If your ad is too short no one will understand the message and download the app, and if it’s too long users will become annoyed and won’t download your app either. Well, they found the sweet spot for you! 23-29 second ads have found to have the largest response rate.

When it comes to playable ads they are found to be effective but not quiet enough to make the “most effective” list. However, it does seem to be working for some games, and the outlook is good. The study found that playable effectiveness came in at about 71% with an excited outlook at the future of the format. When it comes to budget, it doesn’t take up much space either. Right now, video takes up an average of 48% of a companies marketing budget. Display ads are next at 32% and playable at 11%.

In the grand scheme of things, ads will do very little if the game itself isn’t user worthy.

The survey also found that 87% of developers agreed that KPIs (key performance indicators) and user quality was more important than targeting. It makes you wonder what the other 13% of developers are thinking. It will certainly be interesting to see how this study plays out in 2017.

 

 

Like it? Share it...
Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on FacebookShare on Google+Digg thisShare on RedditEmail this to someonePrint this page
mautic is open source marketing automation